Monday, 6 February 2012

Bob and Timmy's, Jose, Vane and Jon too, Providence, RI, Jan 2012

After the assault on my pallet by winged offal I fancied something a bit more bland and civilised. I was told that Bob And Timmy's in the (historic) Federal Hill served up good pizzas.

Turning up to the front door I had high expectations as there was a small queue to eat in this pokey but homely looking pizzeria. The premises looked a bit odd. It seemed like the kitchen occupied one address and the restaurant was an add on that occupied the adjacent address, or visa versa. Anyhow, right now can't be bothered to find out. I'm sure they spout out the same old rhetoric on the website: "we originated from Italy and started off making home made pizzas using our Italian forefather's secret recipe that has slowly been bastardised with American influences over the decades etc etc. Oh and by the way, we are the best etc etc..."

I ordered a red New England clam chowder to get the gastric flowing and it was quite good. The square bowl it was served in felt completely out of place like tackling in the Premier League. I didn't come here for soup. I came here for the pizza. We ordered a Margherita and a Special Number 2. Interestingly the Margherita came with proscuitto, which surely no longer makes it a Margherita but more like a tomato, cheese, basil and proscuitto pizza??? Anyway, I am getting into semantics and nitpicking here. Better leave that all to Romney, Paul, Gingrich et al. The Special Number 2 had a cocktail of spiced minced meat, onions, peppers and some other superfluous baggage. I think the topping would have been better served as a dish on its own with some rice or potatoes but not as a topping. It top loaded the pizza such that when you picked up a slice everything just came crashing down like Sparky's first game in charge. I couldn't understand the base of the pizza. It was more of a poppadum than a pizza base. It was lacklustre and impotent. Every time I munched into it I kept wondering whether I was eating a giant nondescript wafer. If anything could have less taste than nothing, this pizza base was a paletable vacuum. A communion wafer has more taste than the base of this pizza. The only saving grace of the pizzas was the basil on the margherita. If in doubt, sprinkle some fresh basil. It made the oversize slices of tomato delicate and the blobs of white plastic, supposedly the mozzarella, more or less authentic.

The Ho Down says: O pizza pizza. Wherefore art thou nice pizza?

1 comment:

  1. I liked this pizza, but of course, I don't like pizza and I don't know anything about the real ones.

    ReplyDelete