My bet with Bastien was as safe as George Osborne's budget.
Eagle's Deli is 110 % American. The food is served big, the young waitresses blatantly didn't care about customer service, the burger flippers were South American and the decor was delightfully unrefined.
I am convinced you only go to Eagle's Deli for the burgers although they did have other non-American dream food such as salads. If you go to Eagle's Deli and order a non-burger it would be like going to a Jewish deli and ordering a bacon sandwich and packet of pork scratchings.
On my first visit, I took down the smallest challenge - The Nick Lachey. Had to be done. This contained 1.5 lbs of pattie, 6 slices of Swiss cheese, 6 pieces of bacon and 1/2 lbs of French Fries (and a drink). At this point I think I must have blacked out from the beef because all I can remember was 4 hours later whilst laying in a park I was suffering from the bovine sweats. I swear I saw vultures circling above me. Bastien took down the Cowabunga: 2 lbs of pattie, 8 pieces of American cheese (that's right, American cheese), 2 lbs of fries, 1 pickle and a drink. The beast took the burger down. Respect. I felt sorry for his girlfriend though. I can't imagine making beautiful music with a bovine German.
On my second visit, I was ordering as a responsible 30 year old adult and no longer as a juvenile jackass. So I did the mature thing and went for something more manageable in the form of a 1/2 lb specialty burger. This time my mind was clear of beef and I could make a clearer assessment of the burger. It was really rather good. Definitely better than Maccy D's. Better than the King and it pains me to say that it is better than Wendy's square burgers (Wendy is a genius for putting a square pattie in a round bun!)
The Ho Down would bring John Gummer's daughter here for the Eagle's Challenge. No danger. Potential naming of the challenge if Cordelia Gummer took it down? The Bovine Specialty Epicurian burger
No comments:
Post a Comment