Thursday, 5 May 2011

Fish n Chips, Brighton, UK, April 2011

The sun was shining, the trees were blossoming and I was in Brighton enjoying a nice promenade on the seaside. I hadn't had a good ole fish n chips for a while. I hadn't had a good ole nasty kebab for a while either but that will have to wait. Whether it is the flaky piping hot cod, or the chips with the floury inside and crispy outside, or maybe even the sinfulness of crunching the batter on the cod, there is something romantic about having fish n chips while on a trip to the seaside.


My trip to the chippie was long in the planning like Obama's strike in Pakistan. Like a stealth gastro-navy seal I negotiated my way to the seaside chippie. I was met with 'significant' resistance in the form of my no-longer-agile  frame and the shingles on the beach. Upon getting to the chippie, I checked the overhead menu and homed in on a portion of cod and chips. Taking it back to my spot on the beach, I was judge, jury and executioner. It offered no resistance and I took it down. We got it!

I was disappointed with it to be honest, however. First of all, the cod was not one long piece - it came in two pseudo pieces. WTF? Taking my bites into it, I found the batter as useless as Pakistani military intelligence. The cod itself was OK but was as bland as operational details released by the White House. The chips were a major disappointment. The deep fat fryer must have had the same mechanical failure as the helicopter used in Pakistan. The chips were just nondescript. Not even eating from a wooden fork saved the day. Sorry...

The Ho Down says: I had Bin had. Burial at sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment