As The New York Times smugly reports on the British newspaper phone tapping scandal, I can finally report to you all with some a positive foodie experience. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse was a small culinary oasis in this otherwise as cultural and comestible desert.
Ruth's Chris was, to my a relief, low key. The meretricious pompousness was kept to a minimum; there was no obtuse woman on the tannoy mincing our names announcing that our table is ready. It was all very refreshing.
The drinks menu was rather rambunctious with thick genuine synthetic leather bindings and big numbers printed inside. In the end I ordered a glass of cheapo red plonk. Not for a long time have I appreciated steak with a glass of red tipple. Getting straight down to business unlike Arsene Wenger in the summer transfer window, I should fast forward to the steak. The seafood gumbo for starters, the very creamy mashed potatoes and desert were all serfs to my 12 oz NY Strip. Rare of course. I was issued with a rather obvious disclaimer though by Adam our waiter: our plates were going to be hot so don't burn yourself. Give this guy a Wendi Deng Prize for Proactive Intervention. After a short interlude, my steak arrived sizzling and sneering in lava of juice. From the outside the steak looked like it was burnt but after slicing through I was able to peer at the deep red pulsating sinews. I quite simply impressed from my first bite. At first I could taste the gently seasoned, slightly charred exterior followed by a luke warm soothing interior. Somehow, they managed to sear the bastard hard with all the rage of a phone-tapping scandal but somehow left the middle as succulent and sweet tasting as a EuroMillions win. The glass of red plonk along with the NY Strip complimented, and also complemented, each other so well. I was seriously impressed. The only complaint was that 12 oz was too much. I want just enough to come back for more. 12 oz made me feel like exasperated like Bobby Mancini after Mario Backheel-otelli's capers.
The Ho Down says: Ruth-lessly good!
No comments:
Post a Comment