It was another sweltering afternoon in Hong Kong. I had just bagged a free Snoopy lollipop so that mildly offset the fact that I was trekking through Hong Kong to go to The Cupping Room. Its business card states ‘World Barista Champion’, which is a good thing. But isn’t 2nd place does not equal champion?
Anyway, luckily HK Gamer is always on the ball and took us straight there. We were greeted by a well known local (amongst a small community) HK Canadian, and with her self-proclaimed established superlative communication skills, told two ABCs to move themselves and their annoying accents so we could sit. The cafe was full of all sorts; all of them unfazed by 2nd place being lauded as a champ.
I ordered an affogato; HK Gamer got an ice cream mocha and HK Gamer’s +1 got some freshly squeezed apple juice that looked like effluent from the alleys between Hillwood Road and Austin Road. I’m sure it tasted great though. An affogato is a shot of espresso with a scoop of ice cream for commoners like myself, and as a commoner I quite liked it.
I decided to see whether glorious colonial traditions remain in Hong Kong and ordered a ‘Full Breaky’; i.e. full (English) breakfast. Although, when it arrived it wasn’t full; it didn’t have any baked beans. I think I also found my bookmarks in the form of the sorry looking rashers of bacon, and the bits of mushroom looked like they had just fallen out of someone’s nose. The sausages were perfectly straight for some reason and the taste did a great impression of Lord Lucan. The bread was the star amongst mediocrity as the only processing it required was to be sliced.
HK Gamer’s carbonara was passable like a joint (it is polite to pass it around). HK Gamer’s +1’s omelette looked as fresh and fun as an iPhone 5c with lots of clean lines and colours. I didn’t take a bite because I was onboard the Frugo Survey systematically searching for the lost taste in my sausage.
To add a bit of unnecessary quirkiness, the water was served in blacked out laboratory bottles. Working in a lab, this raised my suspicions especially as there was no labelling. Didn’t matter too much though because there weren’t enough glasses to pour a glass of unmarked clear colourless liquid.
Three beverages and three dishes totalled a shade over £30. That is about £59,699970 cheaper than Angel Di Maria. Still dear, I'm afraid.
By the way, don’t get the ice cream mocha or affogato. A 100 % reliable unauthoritative inside source says that only coffee peasants order them. Good to know. Ten affogatos and ice cream mochas for me, please.
The Ho Down says: 2nd place is the first loser.

No comments:
Post a Comment