Samsung, Park Ji Sung, The Seoul Olympics, Mama Kim's? As Korean groceries in New York are slowly closing, Big Mama Kim's son has put his Brown degree to good use and stuck his mum in a big truck to serve Korean Seoul food somewhere on College Hill. To me the truck looks like a big tub of margarine with a canopy on it. Upon closer inspection, it is quite an impressive vehicle with a chilled drinks compartment big enough to keep Ratko Mladic on ice for his trial. Being a quarter pint, I had to crane my neck to bark my order to Mama Kim.
Whilst waiting for my nosh, I had a butchers inside and saw a couple of (most likely) Korean guys and of particular peculiarity, a white guy doing something that might have been important. Was this white guy a member of the 'Ndrangheta mafioso spreading that slipped the carabinieri? According to Mama Kim's website, she collaborates with students from Johnson and Wales University, so this guy must be doing time for sneezing in class and forgetting to wash his hands.
I was advised by a rather random source to get the bulgogi. Whilst waiting for the white peculiarity to prepare my food I had a peruse in the chilled compartment. I did not find Ratko Mladic but I did find some interesting Korean beverages ranging from aloe juice to rice punch. In no time at all, my bulgogi was passed through the narrow window into my hungry hands. Taking it back to my bench I took my first mouthful. For a moment, I thought I knew how Rhodri felt after checking his twitter account. Bulgogi is basically a Korean beef stir fry. But this one had a bit of a sickly sweet taste to it. I was later informed that, in true American tradition to give it some chutzpah (or more like putz-pah), this Bulgogi had some sort of pear puree. To me, this fell flat on its face like Newt Gingrich's candidacy for President. The pear puree turned a perfectly respectable beef stir fry into something scandalous like Fred The Shred's demand for a super injunction. The rice was adequate although I couldn't work out if it was meant to be sticky rice or normal boiled rice. It was an England Under 21 Euro Championship campaign - neither here nor there. The only saving grace was the kimchi. Kimchi is basically pickled Korean cabbage with a bit of attitude. When eaten with the Stuart Pearce's rice and Giggsy's beef it was rather tame but added enough heat to tickle the capsacin receptors. On its own, the kimchi was like a summer day in Providence; i.e. hot.
The Ho Down says:
Park Park wherever you may be
You eat dogs in your home country
Could be worse
Could be a scouse
Eating rats in a council house
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_orkTy0A1yE)
very funny geezer
ReplyDelete